Smart Vehicle Health Monitor is draining battery

I purchased two health monitors for my two cars, a Toyota Auris and a Toyota Yaris. These connect to the OBD 2 port, and I have noticed that these never switch off. The lights on the monitors go on and off, on and off even when the car is switched off. This drained my car battery and I couldn’t switch it on in the morning. Isn’t it a bit counterproductive for a device that is ostensibly helping to diagnose car problems to be causing them instead?

I have tried everything, switching off bluetooth on my phone, exiting the app after I switch off the cars, but nothing works. The lights on the smart vehicle health monitors keep going on and off, on and off, all the time.

Nonda customer support suggested I remove the health monitors when not using them, but this will damage the OBD2 port. It is not meant to have things plugged and unplugged into it constantly. The pins will start wearing out soon.

Needless to say, I am dissatisfied with my purchase.

Hi @lordgatt

Thank you for letting us know your problem with the SVHM. Terribly sorry for what has happened.
Curious to know if you’d like to continue trying the device with another unit or simply a refund?
Either way, we respect your choice.

Best Regards,
Julieta

I have experiencd the same problem with this unit on my Toyota. I returned the unit and I’m waiting for the refund. Mark has been very helpful with this problem and the return. I believe the unit needs new programming to be sure it turns off when the car is turned off so that the battery doesn’t drain. I’m waiting for an update and then will repurchase as I believe this unit is a great addition for people.

Thanks Robert. Will contact them and see if I can get a resolution to my issue. Just frustrated that finding out about this cost me a battery.

Hi @Jason_Hirose
Thank you for leaving your feedback here with us. Terribly sorry that this has caused you a battery, if you have further request or suggestions, feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
Julieta

I just bought it, and am now worried about my car battery. Kind of defeats the purpose now…

I just purchased one, now I worried.

I just bought one too. Seems like it is only doing surface scanning. My car has a catalystic converter fault and ZUS diagnostic did not pick up the code, indicating everything is fine. Strange!

I just noticed this and it drained my battery too. I just got my battery replaced and noticed that the lights on the SVHM was still on even while the car was not on. This is a serious drawback to using the product. Actually I can’t use it until there is a feature to turn of the SVHM when the car is turned off.

Please let me know if there is any workaround to this.

@Erik_Ammerlaan They make OBDII extension cables with on/off power switches. That’s the best solution I could find.

Quick question about this…

Isn’t the OBDII module kind of go to sleep mode, and will reactivate if you open your car ??
when I am at my weekend house, my phone doesn’t connect always unless i go to my car and open a door or use the remote to unlock.
Sure the module uses battery but it’s not like a such small device uses that much energy…

How old are your car and your battery (just for reminder it s a good advice to change battery once every 2-3 years

:slight_smile:

@Yoann_Berthome It depends on the vehicle, I think. I’ve tried it on a 2013 Acura, and a 1999 Jeep, and on both of them, it just stays on full power draining the battery.

Since I alternate vehicles, one may sit for a week or two while I use the other, so despite both having brand new batteries, it’s enough to drain them, especially when it’s well below freezing outside.

I finally had to give up on the SVHM because, well, it’s not very “Smart”.

1 Like

A workaround but not the most ideal. :neutral_face:

I have a 2015 Subaru Outback.

1 Like

@nated I have removed the SVHM as well. I’ll only plug it back in if I get a check engine light on to diagnose.

1 Like

So, I just killed TWO batteries in my 2009 Subaru Forester and now I know it’s because of the Zus smart vehicle health monitor. Shouldn’t this device have some kind of ‘shut-off’ if it’s draining a battery to nothing? My new battery has been in the car for only 300 miles of driving. I didn’t drive it for 3 weeks and it was so dead that lights and fob wouldn’t even work. Nothing worked. It’s IRONIC that a vehicle health monitor DAMAGED the vehicle. Not only did I have to pay for new batteries, but i also had to pay to service the car for idle speed, since it kept dying at stop lights after the battery had died. This is typical after a dead battery in Subaru, apparently. So, a few hundred bucks later, the Zus is now out of commission. They should email a WARNING to all users not to leave the ZUS in the vehicle if you aren’t driving it daily.

This seems to be a vehicle specific issue your having, as I have personally been using the Smart Vehicle Health Monitor on 4 cars (2 Kia’s, 1 Ram 1500, and a PT Cruiser) and never expected a issue with the battery dying.

But did you DRIVE your cars daily or did you leave them for around 3 weeks without even starting them, like Kathlee_Ann? I’m curious, as I can’t tell if my battery is getting drained by the SVM, as I drive mine daily… Nissan Note by the way…

The PT Cruiser is a show vehicle and maybe gets driven a handful of times a month so there are times where it can sit for a couple of weeks without being driven. I work from home full-time and so I don’t have to commute daily to and from work so the ram 1500 may get driven once or twice a week the rest the (2 Kia’s) our daily driven with no issues.

I’m wondering what version of the device they are running. For example I am running the first gen smaller versions in the PT Cruiser and Kia optima. The other two are using the newer ones with the SIM card that may be constantly check in since it has its own data SIM card. my statement was referring to the fact that the only users that have experienced issues seem to own Subaru’s. I’m wondering if it’s a Subaru related issue

As far as I know there are cars which do not fully turn off power to the ODB port, even when off and key removed. As there are cars which do not fully turn off their cigarette-lighter socket as well. Maybe it has something to do with that?

2 Likes