It was a pleasant surprise this past Saturday to receive the Zus TPMS kit that I ordered via Indiegogo. I proceeded to follow the instructions to install and calibrate the system. During the drive that followed, I noticed that at least two of the tires were slowly losing pressure.
I did the soapy water test, but it didn’t produce any noticeable bubbling to indicate a leak. I went ahead and removed the TPMS caps and then installed them - grasping the valve stem and tightening to the max by hand, then using the wrench to ensure they were securely fastened. I followed that by grasping the valve stem and TPMS cap while tightening the security nut behind it, then applied soapy water to test for leaks (which I didn’t find).
Next day, my son and I took the car on a 13-mile trip. Along the way, we were watching tire pressure progressively decrease in one tire - so much, that we had to pull over half-way into our trip to pump up the tire. At the time, I assumed it was a problem with that tire, as I knew I had a slow leak prior to installing the TPMS system. On our way back, we had to stop about 1/3 of the way home, where I replaced the tire with the spare.
I went ahead and had all 4 tires replaced with new ones on Tuesday. Since then, I have continued to experience leaks with the TPMS system installed. I took the car back to the tire store this morning, where they replaced all the stems and valves.
I will be running with the new tires without the TPMS over the coming days and will be frequently checking out tire pressure to rule out any issues with the tires, rims, valves, or stems. If all goes well, I will reinstall the Zus TPMS system and report back with results.